Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

Making life-changing decisions is tough. Especially when you feel like you are going into it blindly. Right now, I am at a fork in the road, with a decision to make. In the grand scheme of life it probably won't be all that significant. It could change my current path and make my current situation very different, but long term it is not likely to have huge significance. I am not one who thinks one decision can derail someone's entire future, but in the midst of making such decisions it is hard not to think about that exact thing..

First is the doubt... am I running from something or to something. This may not seem all that different, but to me it is one of the most important questions to consider. Am I running from fear, anxiety, discomfort or am I simply recognizing a bad situation and finding a better alternative. Will things really be any better anywhere else? If the issue is with my fear or anxiety, I will face the same issues anywhere and making an external change will not be of much good. 

Second is recognizing that just because I am not completely enjoying my situation doesn't mean that it isn't where I am suppose to be. Clearly, God does not intend for our circumstances to be desirable and perfect but that we remain joyful and thankful despite of our circumstance. I'll be the first to admit, I have failed miserably at this so far. 

Third is actually understanding what God's will is in the decision. This is a tough one because I have learned the hard way that in order for this to happen you actually have to be quiet and listen. For weeks, I kept talking at God, telling him how much I disliked my situation and telling him to do something about it. It wasn't until recently (with the help of a friend) I realized that I need to stop making demands of God and simply listen to what he might be saying. This is a new concept for me to a large extent, and I'll admit, it is definitely a discipline to be learned. 

Finally is the concept of having faith and trusting that God will not abandon you, regardless of your decision. I think I have been waiting for a someone to walk up to me and hand me a piece of paper telling me what decision to make. Now, I am not saying that this couldn't happen, but often it is far from the case. As Mark Batterson discusses in "In a pit with a lion...", rarely is any situation crystal clear-- if it was, no faith would be required. Most of the time 50-75% sure is the best you'll get, the rest is up to you taking a step out of faith, and trusting that God is with you no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment