There is one thing that will push a man past fear, and that is destiny. Although a quote from the TV show, "Flashforward", this saying seems very true. On the average day, an average fear of mine seems almost too much to confront. It could be anything from making a phone call for a potential job to the constant worry about what the future does or does not hold. What can overcome this? This question indirectly addresses something I have been struggling with for some time now, just how do I find purpose in everyday life? I have come to find something in the last few months as I have been trying to figure this out that is depressing and honestly something I should be warned of in other areas of my life. I spent so much time trying to figure out how find purpose in the average day, complaining, be it internally, that my life was too simple or boring to have meaning everyday. Then suddenly a week had passed... still no feeling of purpose, a month/two months... still no purpose. I think at some point you have to stop searching for a bunch of reasons as to why everyday has a purpose and just start living ON PURPOSE. I don't know, maybe it won't work, but I'm going to try it.
Back to addressing the issue of destiny overcoming fear. When I think about my life, about times when I felt I was really living, when I was willing to put something on the line, to risk something that could leave me hurt or looking stupid or whatever, the reason I was willing to do it was because I felt a sense of destiny. I felt that I was part of something bigger and it didn't matter if I looked stupid to others and I was willing to
FACE A FEAR.
The more I read through the Bible and talk with other people (shout out to the guys that meet on Wednesday night), I see that if we truly are following God, our lives do have a sense of Destiny. I have come to realize, that I DO NOT rely on God in my life, I rely on myself and practical thinking or even chance. I have never been someone who says "praise God for that opportunity" or anything like that when something is pieced together to work out, and that saddens me. When I do that, it's like a slap in the face to God, here he is working behind the scenes, displaying his glory and I shrug it off as chance or a good decision I made. This is me admitting, I have been living wrong, I have been missing the point. I hope I can change, I hope I can see that I am part of something much bigger than me.
As one of my friend's was talking last night he said something that hit me, and it's weird that it did because if I claim to be a christian (which I have for twenty years) I should have this down by now. He said something about how our lives should look different, that others around us should notice something is different about this guy. But I don't think I look much different.
Maybe today, plain, simple, boring today I can show someone how I am different. Maybe today, someone else will see that you are living different by what you say or by how you treat them, and will wonder what it is. Maybe today, the simplest act of kindness will change someone's heart. That is what God has called us to do, it that enough destiny for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment